Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Making your own Embossing Plates

Have you ever wished you had an embossing folder of some design that didn't exist?  I saw this ghost die from the Frantic Stamper, which I really like to use in it's "die" form, but I also wished it was on an embossing folder as well.  No worries...............you can make your own embossing plates with any die you have.  It's very easy, just follow these steps:

First off, here is a photo of the card I made using the ghost die to make my own embossing plate:
(the ghosts are not adhered to this card, they are embossed onto it)


The first thing you need is a lot of die cuts of the die you like.  In this case, I used the ghost die from the Frantic Stamper.  I glued two dies on top of each other to make the ghosts really thick so the embossing would really stand out.  Arrange and adhere the dies however you want on your cardstock.  I wanted the embossing plate to fit on an  A2 size card so I used a piece of cardstock that was 4" x 5.25".  Here's a picture of the black ghosts (2 layers thick) adhered to my cardstock:


This is cool enough really to be a card on it's own.  Once you have two layers of the ghosts adhered on top of each other and any excess that hangs off the card base cut off, you are ready to emboss.

I ran the above embossing "plate" through my Cuttlebug using the following sandwich, from the bottom up:

A Plate
B Plate
Embossing plate (paper) that has the ghosts on it, ghost side face up
A plain piece of cardstock cut to the same size as your embossing "plate" in the step above this
Light brown rubber mat that is normally used to emboss thin dies with
Two cardboard shims (thin cardboard, may vary depending on your machine)
B Plate

This is what it looks like when it comes out of the Cuttlebug:


And this is what the opposite side looks like:

The images are debossed on the back side.

I chose to use the embossed side rather than the debossed side for my card.

Using a fingertip ink dauber, I applied black ink in a brush stroke fashion, trying to keep the ink as light as possible but to emphasize the edges of the ghosts.  


I also wanted some purple on the card so I used Shaded Lilac Distress Ink and did the same thing with the fingertip dauber but this time trying to keep the ink on the card area around the ghosts, not on the ghosts:

Since I had a lot of areas that were darker than the others, I chose to blend the purple area with a wet paintbrush, blending the ink a little more evenly and lightening it up.

I also wanted a greeting on the card and some orange color, so I added the Frantic Stamper Happy Halloween stamp to the card:


You can do this process with any die that you have; the possibilities for making your own embossing plates are endless.  Just hold on to the "plate" you made so you can use it over and over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment