Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Zia



When Frantic Stamper came out with the newest of their Southwestern themed dies, I didn't know what the symbols / dies stood for until I did some research on the Zia and New Mexico.

The Zia, represented by the 4 sided sun symbol above, are an indigenous tribe centered at Zia Pueblo, an Indian reservation in New MexicoU.S. The Zia are known for their pottery and use of the Sun symbol. The people are a branch of the large Pueblo community.  

The symbol, which is the symbol on the flag of New Mexico,  has sacred meaning to the Zia.  Four is a sacred number which symbolizes the Circle of Life:  the four directions, the four times of the day, the four stages of life, and the four seasons.  The circle in the middle binds the four elements together.

A neighbor of mine has a lot of jewelry from New Mexico, most of which is silver with turquoise or red stones.  I also found a lot of Southwest pins on Pinterest that had these colors.  For my card, I used the Southwest Panel (white design part) by Frantic Stamper.
I cut it twice, once in white and again in turquoise, so I could use the turquoise pieces to put back into the die cut.  I then used the largest die in the Diamonds One by Spellbinders for the white diamond behind the Zia.

The Zia was cut using silver mirror board with a center piece of turquoise card stock.  Zia comes as a set of two dies, the other being the Kokopeli, which will be used on other cards in the very near future.

I love these Southwest dies now that I have them.  You can check out all 534 Frantic Stamper precision dies here, and watch for monthly new releases:
http://www.franticstamper.com/-Frantic-Stamper-Precision-Dies_c_6157.html


No comments:

Post a Comment