Tuesday, June 23, 2015

12 x 12 Starburst / Sunburst layout


This page isn't quite done yet since I'm waiting for some new dies to come in, but I wanted to share the instructions.  I wasn't able to find a good tutorial online for a 12 x 12 sunburst other than the ones where they have you making a template, tracing it on to your paper and manually cutting out each ray individually.  That's just too much work for me so I had to find a simpler way, and I did.

I started off by finding the center point of the 12 x 12 page which is at the 6" mark both vertically and horizontally.  I then placed my circle over the center so I'd know how long each ray had to be.  The instructions I am giving now, however, accommodate for not having a large circle covering the center, so the rays are long enough to reach the center UNDER the circle.  You can always cover that focal point with something but you don't have to use a huge circle (4.5" largest one) like I did.

Once you have the center identified and picked out the designer paper you want to use, realize that the 4 corners of the page have the longest rays, thus the 8" length rectangles.  The rest of the rays are all 6" in length, but again, if you have a large focal point like I do, you don't really need 6".  You can easily get by with 4 1/2 or 5".

I actually mixed up the width of the rays and didn't cut them all at 2".  Some I cut at 1.5" and others at 1.75".  This is totally up to you how wide you want them, and whether you want to leave spaces between each ray or not.  If not, then you will need more than 20 rays.

When you have the rectangles cut out, you need to cut each rectangle in half diagonally.  I do this on my paper cutter by lining up opposite corners on the cut line:


After all the rays are cut, play around with the placement to see what works best for colors and size.  When you know how you want the rays laid out, keep them in place on your 12 x 12 background paper and number them in circular order using a pencil.  I numbered mine right at the very skinny corner of each ray so it would be hidden under the focal point.  Then you can start adhering them to your page one at a time.  I used one strip of double sided tape on each ray and that seemed to hold them all in place nicely.  You can also emboss your rays or ink the edges before adhering them.

I'd love to see your creations with this technique.  Please feel free to email photos to me, and if you want, I can put them on my blog with a link to your blog or facebook page.  My email address is on the sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment