Monday, June 22, 2015

Adorable Raccoon



This raccoon is actually the Adorable Raccoon by Frantic Stamper.  I love how easy it was to make the mask around his eyes.  The tick lines are already there; all you have to do it cut in two tiny little spots and the mask separates from the rest of the die cut.

The starburst background is something I've wanted to try for a long time but to tell you the truth, I was intimidated by it.  I thought it looked so difficult and time consuming.  I researched on youtube for some of the best starburst / sunburst videos and found a few really quick ones.  The first time I tried the technique, I was hooked!

It is very simple to do once you have your coordinating papers chosen.  That, to me, is the hardest part.  I don't normally buy paper packs with papers that already coordinate; I normally buy single sheets at the store here and there.  So this part took the longest for me.

Once I had the papers chosen, I decided to make the starburst type that has the focal point in the middle of the card.  You can have the focal point (where all the triangles meet on the card) anywhere; it's all just a matter of preference.

You can also cut your designer paper to a variety of sizes or have them all the same width like I did.  Most of the videos I found suggested using a 1 1/2" width strip of paper.  The length varies depending on the size of your card.  Since I made an A2 card, my strips were all 4 1/2" long.  I could have cut most of them down to a smaller length instead of having so much to trim off afterward, but I didn't mind having them all the same size.  At least that way I could manipulate where I wanted each strip and wasn't locked into having to use one pattern here, another there.

To start the background for my A2 card, I cut a piece of cardstock 3 3/4 x 5".  This would be the piece that the triangles get adhered to and won't show, so it doesn't matter if you use good cardstock or scratch cardstock.  The next thing is to cut a piece of black cardstock, in my case, for the frame around the triangles.  I would then mount that black cardstock on to a piece of 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 cardstock that was folded in half making it 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 (the size of an A2 card).

Now you are ready to cut your dsp.  I cut 7 pieces that were 4 1/2 by 1 1/2" each.  You want to cut each of those pieces into equal triangles.  Place opposite corners of the rectangular strips on your paper trimmer like this and cut:



Once all your strips are cut into triangles, arrange them on your background piece of cardstock but don't adhere them yet.  After you have an idea of where you want each strip to be (I butt mine right up against each other, but you can leave some space in between them if you are using a good piece of cardstock for your background paper), decide if you want to ink the edges of the strips.  This gives a little more definition to the background effect.

When you are ready to adhere the strips to the background paper, I find it easier to apply adhesive on the entire background paper instead of trying to adhere it to the triangles.  Figure out where you want your focal point, to the side of the card, middle, in a corner, etc.  Place the first strip so the skinny end of the triangle is right at your focal point.  In the photo below, I wanted the focal point to be at the center bottom of my card.  Having the focal point here took fewer strips of paper than having a center of card focal point:


When all the strips are adhered and your background paper is completely covered, turn the panel over and trim off the excess pieces.

Now you are ready to mount whatever it is that you want at your focal point, whether a flower, a greeting, etc.

Adhere the background panel to your next bigger piece of cardstock and then adhere that to the card base.

This is the card that I made with the bottom center focal point which is under the hills:


And this card has a focal point toward the bottom left of the card:


I will be having instructions on how to make a starburst on a 12x12 scrapbook page soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment