Sunday, June 28, 2015

Under the Sea Scene card & tutorial



When I got the Sea Horse die I knew right away I wanted to cut it out on foil cardstock; the details on it are so great and show up nicely with foil.  I also knew I wanted to make a scene card using both the Sea Horse and the Sea Creatures die set.  The Sea Creatures die set has 7 dies, two of which are the baby sea horse and the sea turtle.

To create the scene, I started off with the brown ocean floor using the Stitched Scene Builders Edgers die.  I also wanted some stamping on  my card so I made my own stencil using the seaweed die that comes in the Ocean Floor Icons set.  To make the stencil, I just cut the seaweed die several times across the bottom of a sheet of acetate.  Then I drew a line indicating where the brown ocean floor would end and held the template for the seaweed along that line, pressing down in the cut out areas with distress ink and a finger dauber.







 I also knew I wanted some bubbles on the card to make it look like the sea animals were breathing, so I used the Water Droplets stamp by Designs by Ryn.  I should have used the Rising Bubbles instead of the Water Droplets but I don't currently own that stamp (yet).  To color the droplets, I first stamped them with VersaFine black onyx ink then colored them in with a Tumbled Glass Distress marker and put a tiny white dot on each.


The rest of the card fell together once the background was finished.  I added the mother sea horse with her two babies in the bubbles area and added a sea turtle with more bubbles to the opposite end of the card.  I cut out some coral and seaweed and adhered them at different levels to the ocean floor.

I could have added a lobster and crab from the Ocean Floor icons but decided to just put the starfish on instead.  I didn't want the card to look too cluttered.


The final step was stamping on the Happy Birthday stamp by Frantic Stamper to fill the void at the top of the card.

These are the items used in making the card, all available at Frantic Stamper:

Ocean Floor icons 09506

Sea Creature Icons 09507

Sea Horse 09511
Unmounted Rubber Stamp "Birthday" FRA-UMRS-202-20

Stitched Scene Builder Edgers 09403







1 comment:

  1. Hey Ann, thanks for adding this to my challenge. Those are neat dies! I like the seahorse cut from foil card stock. Also like that you didn't over clutter. Cute little scene :)

    ReplyDelete