Thursday, September 10, 2015

Cardinal on Pinecones with tutorial


If you saw my previous post with the pinecone on it, then you know that I cut out one of the Stitched Ovals from the Woodgrain Card Panel die that I used as a stamp.  I saved the card panel that I had cut that oval out of and used it on this card.

I think cardinals go perfectly on Christmas cards so I used the Frantic Stamper Cardinal on this card to add some much needed red to it.  I also used the Frantic Stamper Pinecone and Pine Bough.

To make the pinecones and add the snowy look to them, I first cut them out using regular weight cardstock.  Then I used a white gel pen and simply went over all the tick lines for the petals.  



To form the pinecones, I placed the diecuts upside down on a foam mat and used a large round end of a stylus to press all around the edges and center, giving it a concave look.



The next step was to give the individual petals some dimension.  I switched to the smaller end of the stylus and gently rolled some of the larger petals, pushing gently and rolling, still on the back side of the paper..


When that was done, I turned the pinecone over and put my fingernail under some of the larger petals and actually bent them upward.  To adhere the pinecone to the card, I used a very thick foam tape underneath and rounded the edges of the pinecone under slightly with my fingers.


If you didn't want the snowy look to the pinecone, you could also use a brown marker to outline the tick marks as I did on this card:


The pinecone die is beautiful as it is and doesn't have to have the extra steps taken to give it further dimension, but since it's easy enough to do with all the tick marks already there, why not take advantage of it.




2 comments:

  1. I love this card. The Cardinal is the perfect color addition

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this card. The Cardinal is the perfect color addition

    ReplyDelete