Sunday, June 5, 2016

Patriotic Butterflies in Flight


I've been wanting to make a red, white and blue card since I missed making one for Memorial Day; I was preoccupied with making birthday, graduation, and new driver cards for my family.

The above card was actually in my mind but I goofed when making it which resulted in this one:


They might look the same but they aren't.  Normally when I used the Butterflies in Flight die by Sue Wilson, I adhere the separate butterflies that come in the die set behind the panel with all the swirls in it but I was not thinking and adhered the blue panel to the card base without adhering the butterflies.  After I realized what I had done, I thought to myself, "how can I color in those butterflies without ruining the card"?  I am terrible with markers so I knew that was out of the question.  The next thing that came to mind was filling the areas with Stickles.

I have a whole drawer full of Stickles that I rarely use.  They were a big hit a few years ago but now they seem to have been replaced with sequins.  Since I had Stickles in red, white and blue, I decided to go that route.

This is what the die set looks like.  It is a gorgeous die that I've used many times before:


To make my card, I just cut the striplet 3 times but without the separate frame around it.  If you use the separate frame, it will totally detach the striplet from your paper.  I didn't want that look for today's card but have used it previously that way.  I cut one striplet leaving a little border around the left side and top/bottom of my paper.  Then I lined up the striplet to the right of the previously cut one, leaving a small amount of space vertically between the two.  Do this one more time so you have three striplets separated by equal spaces in between.

For the butterflies, I cut a variety of the separate butterfly dies and adhered them from the back of the paper that I just cut the striplets into.  I used a glue pen on the back of the striplet then just adhered the butterflies.  So easy to do, rather than cutting and paper piecing in butterflies from the front of the striplet.

Did you know Ecstasy Crafts sells all sorts of adhesives?  Check them out here:

http://www.ecstasycrafts.com/Glue3D-Foam-PadsTape_c_440.html.  You can get your double sided tape, glue pens, foam tape and more, all in one place.






3 comments:

  1. Wow! Love your patriotic butterflies! Beautifully done by adding the light blue! Hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this striplet die, your card is beautiful. The butterflies look really pretty coloured with your sticklers too.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty idea you came up with for the butterflies, they are so pretty all sparkling!!

    ReplyDelete