Friday, August 5, 2016

Owls for Ronan


When you open the card, it looks like this:


And when you open it even further, it looks like this:



There are two reasons for my making an owl card today:


#1.  I am applying for a guest designer spot with Ellen Hutson, and this is my entry for the Calling All Artists Guest Artist Challenge which can be found here:


and

#2.  My two year old nephew, Ronan, loves owls so he will be getting this card, along with some other owl craft ideas below.

To enter the challenge you must use one "Essentials by Ellen" item and other items that Ellen Hutson carries in the store.  I chose to use the Brushstroke Hello by Julie Ebersole along with the Sizzix Folded Owl die by Jen Long.

                   

   


In addition to making the above card, I also wanted to make some other things with the owl for Ronan.  Ronan knows his ABC's at just two years old (yes, he is a very smart child), and I thought a matching game with the letters in his name would help with learning how to spell his name:


I cut the smaller owls in the set on magnetic sheets that will stick to Ronan's refrigerator.  He can mix them up and try to spell his name according to the accordion folded card on top of the refrigerator.  Ronan isn't tall enough to see what is on top of the refrigerator so I adhered magnetic strips to the back of the accordion card to allow it to hang on the refrigerator as well.

I also wanted to make a game that he could play while sitting at the table eating lunch.  So I cut out some chipboard letters that he can place on top of the letters on his magnetic owls as another matching game.  He could also use his magnetic plastic ABC toys.



My final project was to make a bag to hold all of these owls for Ronan.  I cut out the largest owl and adhered it to a gift bag which is just the right size for a little boy.



Another game idea would be to cut out the owls in various colors, two of each color, for a matching game of colors (you can do the same with numbers too).

Since Ronan is my youngest nephew, and I love to spoil him, I also bought these Ty baby owls for him; a father, mother and child-sized one:



Here's my nephew at 1 1/2 yrs  wearing his favorite owl sweater:



Thanks for stopping by................Ann



4 comments:

  1. The owls are amazing, and that die cut is precious! It includes lots of fun detailed layers to go with the shape, too! I've never seen anything like it, Ann. And Ronan is such a cutie! No wonder you went all out for his birthday. Best wishes for the DT tryouts! They would be very fortunate to have you on their team! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing projects here Ann! Ronan is blessed to have you as an auntie and I'm sure he'll go crazy over this! Good luck on your dt submission too. Hope you get good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh he is just too cute Ann and he is going to totally Love what you have done for him, what a sweet Aunt you are, that opening of the card is just too cool, I am sure he will be doing a lot of opening and closing of it and such creative ideas you have for him to play with his name, so Love the owls, great embellishing of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! How awesome is all of this??? BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete