Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Watercolor Stamping Trial and Errors


I'm extremely new to watercoloring and recently decided to try some Penny Black Slapstick stamps since they looked fairly easy, and there are a lot of videos on how to use them.

I started by putting the Poppy Pattern stamp (40-290) in my MISTI and inking up the stamp with a pad of Tattered Rose distress ink.  I tapped the ink pad right on the stamp then used a towel to remove the ink from the leaves and stem areas on the stamp.    I spritzed the stamp just a little and pressed it onto my watercolor paper in the MISTI.  The next step is very important as you will see below what happens if you don't follow this step.  DRY your paper with a heat gun or allow it to air dry before stamping with another color (see down below at end of post).

Next I wiped the stamp clean and stamped again but this time with Dried Marigold distress ink, using the same method as earlier and spritzing the stamp lightly.   I then took a tiny wet paint brush and spread out the ink to fill in some white areas.


After the petals were done and dry, I then cleaned the stamp and colored the leaves and stems on the stamp with a Peeled Paint distress pen.  Again, I spritzed the stamp lightly and pressed down on the MISTI.  During this whole process, my stamp remained on the right hand side of the MISTI and never moved.


The stamping was now done.  I decided not to ink the centers of the flowers due to my catastrophe the first time.  I cut some poppy centers from the Sue Wilson Exquisite Poppy die set and adhered those in the centers of some of the open poppies.


I stamped the Penny Black "you are wonderful" from the Sentiment Collection (30-350) clear stamp set, also using my MISTI as it took over 3 tries to get the stamp dark enough on my paper.

I framed the poppies with the Sue Wilson Stitched Lattice Frames CED9303 and cut the sentiment out with the Sue Wilson Stitched Flags CED1458.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:





Now, on to sharing my catastrophic moment and what I learned.

The first time I inked up my stamp and spritzed it with water, it came out fine on the paper using my MISTI.  But, I did not let the paper dry before restamping it and the black color ran right into the red petals:

Step 1:  stamping just the petals a few times


Step 2:  coloring the leaves and stems with a marker and spritzing with water.

THIS IS ANOTHER MISTAKE I MADE.  I SHOULD HAVE REMOVED ALL THE WATER FROM THE ABOVE STAMP WHERE IT OVERSPRAYED ONTO THE PETALS OF THE STAMP.  I ONLY NEEDED THE LEAVES AND STEMS SPRITZED.  THE EXTRA WATER ON THE PETALS JUST MADE THEM RUN.


THE WORST MISTAKE WAS NOT REMOVING THE EXCESS WATER FROM THE STAMP WHERE IT COVERED THE PETALS WHEN SPRITZING THE BLACK FLOWER CENTERS. ALL THAT WATER ON THE PETALS MADE THE INK ON THE CARD RUN INTO THE BLACK INK:


See all the tiny bubbles of water on the petals of the stamp..... I should have wiped them off.


I can still use this card; I'll just cover the black runny area with a flag or something.

Thanks for stopping by -- Ann






4 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Ann! I have not created anything using that technique yet, but look forward to it! Lovely creations! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty watercolor look, I love what you used for the center of the flowers, great tips for stamping!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card! Your watercolor flowers are stunning! Nicely done!!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete